Ever get a craving for onion rings? Or those French’s Fried Onions you put on top of your Thanksgiving Green Bean Caserole? Or Funions?
You probably do too.
There’s just something about fried onions.
That’s why this lil’ recipe comes in handy, they are kind of a love child between the 3 aforementioned snacks.
Dare I say these savory things could be a new favorite treat.
They are crispy, but not dry.
They are spicy, but don’t make your eyes water.
They are fried, and that’s just plain great.
What you’ll need:
1 yellow onion
1 cup milk
1 1/2 Tbs White Vinegar
1 cup Flour
1 Tbs. Cayenne
1 Tbs. Paprika
1 Tbs. Salt
1 Tbs. Pepper
Canola Oil, for frying
What to do with it all:
1. Slice your onion real thin, does,’t really matter how – full circles, half moons, quartered – let your creativity flow free!
2. Put your onion slices in a bowl and cover them with the milk and white vinegar, make sure they are covered. Let them soak for 15+ minutes
3. In the meantime, heat your oil to 350-375 degrees. Keep the oil at medium heat
4. Mix together the flour, salt, pepper, cayenne, and paprika
5. Put a handful of onions into the flour and let them roll around a bit. Don’t be shy, indulge your inner chef, use your hands and smother those onions, cover them in flour and spices ’til a wet spot is nowhere to be found.
6. Then drop them gently into the hot oil, for the sake of not burning them, I keep the heat on medium and let the onions jump around in the oil for about 5 minutes
7. When the slices are golden and gorgeous take them out and set them on a paper towel to let some oil drain – for the sake of your figure
8. Resist the urge to eat them immediately. Really fight it. Hard
9. After cooling for a few minutes, indulge. Eat them one by one…or by the handful…or put ‘em on a delectable sandwich
10. When you run out make them again, and again to your heart’s content
You can thank me later.
What’s your favorite homemade snack?